Planaltina - DF
Planaltina is located approximately 60km from Brasilia and 220km from Goiânia, in the eastern part of Goiás, in the microregion of the vicinity of Brasilia. It lies at an altitude of 944m and its population is estimated at 82,258 (IBGE, CNM, 2011). It is the oldest town in the Federal District. The first incursion in the region was in the early 19th century. In 1892, the then town Mestre D’Armas became an independent municipality and in 1917 was renamed Planaltina. In the 1920s the cornerstone of the future capital of the Republic was laid in the municipality (IBGE, 2011). Closely linked to the internalisation of the capital, Planaltina kept its traditional urban outline with colonial buildings, alongside recent aggregations (Fonseca & Grassi, 1979). Migratory flows of people from elsewhere in Brazil arrived in the region at the start of Brasilia’s construction and brought with them different cultural expressions and lifestyles from the immigrants’ places of origin. This is case of Selvino de Jesus Alves, born in 1941 in Rui Barbosa, State of Bahia. He was just a child when he learned to work with clay on his own, making animals to play with. In 1965, he moved to the Federal District where he settled in Planaltina. In 1976, after working as a photographer and service station employee, Selvino adopted ceramics as his trade. The ceramist uses his hands and simple tools to make his figures: wire, spatulas, combs, paintbrushes and nails. He produces a wide variety of figures, with more than 200 different types (Fonseca & Grassi, 1979). This diversity reveals the memories of his birth place and assimilation of elements from the new socio-cultural context, such as the bust of President Juscelino Kubitscheck. His figures are unpolished and decorated generally with scratches, sometimes coloured with shoe dye or red clay (Fonseca & Grassi, 1979).